grub vs. grub2

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Feb 12 03:38:31 UTC 2012

Am 12.02.2012 04:20, schrieb Sam Varshavchik:
>> this is a practical question because i have 20 virtual servers
>> installed/cloned 2008 with the old layout, no RAID because this
>> is provided by the SAN-STorage behind
>
> Well, if I were you, I'd start figuring out what to do about it, now.
>
> And this highlights a major minus for hardware raid, and the major plus in mdraid's factor. If this were mdraid,
> you could've moved it. It wouldn't be easily, but moving a RAID1 mdraid partition, like that, is doable. I did it
> myself.

this is only a minus for GRUB2

Virtual Machines = VMware Infrastructure
Means: Shared Storage
Means: Virtual Disks
Means: No need for GRUB2 / GPT or anything changing at all
Means: Install and maintain a OS and move it uninterrupted to new hardware

physical servers with hard- or software-raid are getting meaningless these days!