grub vs. grub2

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Feb 12 12:32:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-02-11 at 13:48 -0700, JD wrote:
> I can tell you my "Oh crap ...." after installing F16!
> The latest version of Gnome does not give the gnome login prompt. Only
> a black screen.
> My GPU is the legacy ATI  Radeon Mobility 9600/M10.
> So, I have no idea if the problem is with Gnome 3, or with the latest
> X driver for my chipset.

Well, try updating, then.  CTRL+ALT+F3 (or another F key) to a text
console, login as root, and run yum update.

My install was a failure, at first, in a similar sounding way, and with
an ATI Radeon something (I don't recall what particular graphic card it
has) but yum updating sorted that out.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686