Partition boot order

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 17:32:02 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 February 2012 17:06, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> In the box there are two physical drives
> >> /dev/sda, /dev/sdb both gpt formatted. and encrypted where necessary
> >> "/, swap, home"
> >>
> >> How can I change the default booting order.
> >>
> >> /dev/sda3 "swap" always comes up first. when booting up.
> >>
> >> How can I change this behaviour so:
> >> /dev/sda4 "/" comes up first.
> >>
> >> This will enable me to use a keyfile to unlock
> >> "home, swap".
> >> with / being the only manual pw entry.
>
> > How many bootable partitions do you have?
> >

> /boot = /sda2
> and "bios boot" = /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
>

> OK, so when you boot from either bios bootable partitions,
what gets mounted as your root partition?

If you root partition is different in each of the two cases,
then you can control what gets mounted first in each root
partition's /etc/fstab file.

      because you use the same /boot dir, each kernel in grub.conf
specifies it's root drive.
      So, you may have to edit grub.conf so that each boot kernel (i.e
title)  has two instances where
      each one gets to specify it's root partition such as:
      root (hd0,1)
      or
      root (hd1,1)

      Also, in each /etc/fstab (in the respective root partitions) you will
need to
      specify which partitions to mount first, and which swap partitions to
use.

ope this is clear.