F15 update: no more nvidia

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Mon Feb 13 00:38:56 UTC 2012

On Feb 12, 2012 3:15 PM, "jonetsu" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>  This afternoon I updated the F15 x86_64 workstation I use.  There
> were quite a few updates in the pipe, so why not.  There was properly
> working nvidia setup which gave high Xorg resolution.
>
>  Before proceeding there was a warning from yum about the nvidia to
> the effect that:
>
> 1:kmod-nvidia-2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.16.x86_64
>
> needs:
>
> kernel-uname-r = 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64
>
> And that I should use '--skip-broken' to proceed.
>
> So I thought that since everything is working fine right now, there is
> nothing to loose to ignore this.
>
> Wrong.
>
> When the update was done I rebooted and no more X server.  kernel
> 2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64 was installed.
>
> After a bit of time I decided to edit grub.conf to boot the previous
> kernel which was 2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64.
>
> So now I have graphical output but only in 1024 low resolution.
>
> How can I get back the high resolution eg, to get back the nvidia
> driver in line ?  I have both Fedora and rpm fusion repositories
> configured.
>
> uname -a is now:
>
> 2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64
>
> When I try a 'yum install kmod-nvidia' (hopefully thinking it would
> install one for the current kernel) there is the same complaint:
>
> kmod-nvidia-2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.16.x86_64
>
> needs:
>
> kernel-uname-r = 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64
>
> Which is not part of the three kernels that are installed and available.
>
> Is it possible to precisely ask yum to install the
> 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64 kernel that would work with nvidia ?
>
> Or...
>
> How to get back high resolution and if possible, how to get it back with
> the new kernel that was just installed, 2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64, to
> which I can point grub to ?
>
> Thanks.
> --

yum install akmod-nvidia

The akmod will build the module locally when there is disparity between the
kmod and kernel versions.  You can install them both and not think about it
again.

Do NOT install the NVIDIA...RUN blob.  We have sane repos and competent
package management, there is no reason to abandon them because rpmfusion is
a day or two behind the kernel.  This method is not sustainable,
irrevocably changes system files that it shouldn't, and is not supportable
here.

So, please use an akmod or the old kernel for a few days.

--pete