F15 update: no more nvidia

Kevin Martin kevintm at ameritech.net
Mon Feb 13 15:15:46 UTC 2012

On 02/12/2012 06:38 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2012 3:15 PM, "jonetsu" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com <mailto:jonetsu at teksavvy.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> >  This afternoon I updated the F15 x86_64 workstation I use.  There
> > were quite a few updates in the pipe, so why not.  There was properly
> > working nvidia setup which gave high Xorg resolution.
> >
> >  Before proceeding there was a warning from yum about the nvidia to
> > the effect that:
> >
> > 1:kmod-nvidia-2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.16.x86_64
> >
> > needs:
> >
> > kernel-uname-r = 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64
> >
> > And that I should use '--skip-broken' to proceed.
> >
> > So I thought that since everything is working fine right now, there is
> > nothing to loose to ignore this.
> >
> > Wrong.
> >
> > When the update was done I rebooted and no more X server.  kernel
> > 2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64 was installed.
> >
> > After a bit of time I decided to edit grub.conf to boot the previous
> > kernel which was 2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64.
> >
> > So now I have graphical output but only in 1024 low resolution.
> >
> > How can I get back the high resolution eg, to get back the nvidia
> > driver in line ?  I have both Fedora and rpm fusion repositories
> > configured.
> >
> > uname -a is now:
> >
> > 2.6.41.4-1.fc15.x86_64
> >
> > When I try a 'yum install kmod-nvidia' (hopefully thinking it would
> > install one for the current kernel) there is the same complaint:
> >
> > kmod-nvidia-2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64-280.13-2.fc15.16.x86_64
> >
> > needs:
> >
> > kernel-uname-r = 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64
> >
> > Which is not part of the three kernels that are installed and available.
> >
> > Is it possible to precisely ask yum to install the
> > 2.6.41.10-3.fc15.x86_64 kernel that would work with nvidia ?
> >
> > Or...
> >
> > How to get back high resolution and if possible, how to get it back with
> > the new kernel that was just installed, 2.6.42.3-2.fc15.x86_64, to
> > which I can point grub to ?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
>
> yum install akmod-nvidia
>
> The akmod will build the module locally when there is disparity between the kmod and kernel versions.  You can install them both
> and not think about it again.
>
> Do NOT install the NVIDIA...RUN blob.  We have sane repos and competent package management, there is no reason to abandon them
> because rpmfusion is a day or two behind the kernel.  This method is not sustainable, irrevocably changes system files that it
> shouldn't, and is not supportable here.
>
> So, please use an akmod or the old kernel for a few days.
>
> --pete

akmod's do *NOT* work with the debug versions of the kernel so, if you want to run the nVidia driver and not the broken nouveau
driver, you *must* get the "blob" from the nVidia website and, yes, rebuild it every time you want to run a new debug kernel (keep
in mind that you have to tweak kernel/nv.c so that the stupid license allows you to rebuild).  Not really that big of a deal if you
are dropping to multi-user target on reboot anyway and using startx to start your gui.  Just do the rebuild prior to running the
startx.  Maybe 2-3 minutes more time to wait.

I would *much* prefer to use akmod's for this but....

Kevin