sound

Patrick Dupre patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk
Mon Feb 13 18:42:18 UTC 2012

Patrick Dupre <patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Show what?
> The system settings>sound
> does not show any sound card (except the dummy one)!

Try
aplay -lv

aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...

This is bizarre, to tell the true, this card had been recognized last
week, and I tried to test it. I did not get it working, by disconnecting
the cable, do you think that I may have kill it?

There are probably some tests that I can run.

Thank.

If that comes up blank, it means that alsa doesn't recognize any cards
on your system.  It is pretty good at recognizing cards (unless the
hardware is really new), so if is hasn't, I would suspect it is disabled
in the bios or there is a hardware error.

If your hardware is really new, you could load a related sound device
module and pass it options found in the kernel documentation for sound
to try to get some functionality out of it.

eg  You have an ALC893 and the latest alsa supported version is ALC891.
You would tell the kernel to pretend your device in an ALC891 hoping
that the interface is nearly the same as your related ALC893.

If it doesn't come up blank, then you have a configuration error.  I
advise installing pavucontrol and using it to configure your sound
device characteristics manually, since they weren't configured
automatically.

---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |  Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |  Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |  email: patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk