Messy PulseAudio Solution

Fedora User fedoradch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:42:01 UTC 2012

In Pulse v. Me, this is just some trial and error. YMMV

The symptom is not being able to select the correct audio output device.

What seems to work is, from root, pulseaudio --kill && pulseaudio -D

Pulse will kvetch about running from root (I DID say that it is messy).

Gnome-control-center: The proper card is selected.

KDE system settings: The device list is replaced with "Pulseaudio Sound
Server" while all of the options are available in "Audio Hardware Setup"

Given that I have a rather recent laptop (i5 w/Intel sound) I
suspect that this is a pervasive problem. "Messy" beats pulling hair.