/boot on RAID with fedora16

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Feb 15 13:29:10 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald writes:

> Am 15.02.2012 03:52, schrieb Chris Adams:
> >>
> >> That's news to me.
> >
> > It is apparently the "official" stance; see the F16 common bugs page.
>
> and why in the world was a release made with such a "common bugs page"
> instead fix such MAJOR BUGS?

Short-term thinking, and a lack of long-term planning, that's why. Large
enterprise installs of RHEL mostly employ servers with hardware RAID, mostly
via vendor-provided binary blobs. Large enterprise installs of RHEL are done
by wiping the server and imaging it afresh. Old-school IT, with roots in the
UNIX world, are not familiar with the concept of an actual upgrade. They
always did that, with UNIX, by wiping the server and loading the new
release, afresh, so that's what they do with Linux too. The fact that a good
portion of existing seats whose partitions start at sector 63 will find
themselves bricked, with this upgrade, is of very little concern, since, as
I said, most upgrades are done as fresh installs.

As such, mdraid, and the upgrade path, is of little value to RHEL, and I
think it's just not deemed important enough.

The short-term thinking here is that what's happening now is that this is
pissing off the people who, maybe a decade from now, maybe more, maybe less,
will find themselves in positions to make technology decisions. And if
Fedora's mindshare in the next generation of technology decision-makers
drops, I believe that there's going to be a fall-out from that. They won't
be looking at RHEL, but rather at whatever they abandoned Fedora for, and
that they're comfortable with.