F16 full of dupes

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 15:48:37 UTC 2012

	I tried to do preupgrade on a System76 netbook running F14. It
failed repeatedly, either complaining that I had to go release by
release, which I had told it to do -- or offering to boot F15 on the grub
splash, but failing.

	I got out my old F16 install disk, from about two weeks after the
release, and told it to upgrade. It did, and I did yum update
immediately.

	That failed, complaining of numerous duplicates, and I ran "yum
clean all," and tried again with --skip-broken.

	That failed, too, this time complaining of lots of "Protected
multilib versions."

	I ran "rpm --rebuilddb," then "yum clean all" again, then another
plain "yum update." That also failed, ending with a mixture of "missing
requires" and "duplicate."

	I know there's a command for dealing with orphans, and I presume
one for duplicates. But I can't remember it, alas!

	I called up "man:rpm" and man:yum" in Konqueror, finding both
pages over my head and monumental besides.

	I did spot "yum check duplicates," and tried that. There are so
many that I can't scroll all the way back up; but most seem to be the
same package except for f14 on one and f15 on the other.

	Can I do "you remove duplicates" or "yum remove *f14*" or
something?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User