Alsa-utils update broken

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 01:22:05 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 15 February 2012 19:45:11 Tom Horsley wrote:
> Yes, that means nothing goes in updates if even one thing
> is broken in the staging repo. But that is NOT a problem.
> Virtually everyone trying to run "yum update" with the current
> process is getting errors and giving up till things work
> anyway.

Even better, the virtual machine can do a "yum update --skip-broken", and then
pick up yum's report on what was updated and what was skipped. Packages which
were cleanly updated get pushed to updates-stable repo, while the broken ones
remain in the staging repo until things get fixed. The maintainers of those
packages can also receive an automatic e-mail that their packages didn't pass
the yum update test.

The staging repo can contain only the packages which are to be pushed to
stable. It's all a matter of creating one virtual machine (or two, one for
each arch) and writing a couple of scripts which would handle the test
process. I am already doing something similar on my local network... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko