F16 full of dupes

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 08:14:42 UTC 2012

On 16 February 2012 04:40, Fedora User <fedoradch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:02:40 +0000 (UTC)
> Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:15:55 -0500, Fedora User wrote:

>> > I'm pretty sure that means that you have competing versions - 32
>> > bit vs. 64 bit. Do you have WINE installed ion a 64 bit
>> > environment? If so, did you try removing it and all of the i686
>> > packages?
>>
>>       Removing wine was easy; but now how do I remove the i686
>> stuff? "yum remove *i686*"?? "yum remove *wine*686*"??
>>
> If you used yum to remove wine then you need not repeat.
> yum remove *i686 - I assumed that you installed Fedora 64bit.

I've had this happen after upgrades before and, while getting rid of
multi-lib versions can help reduce the reported count it's not the
real problem (you should be able to have 32 and 64bit versions of most
things except applications installed). What it usually is is that some
package has been obsoleted by Fedora, but not removed by the upgrade,
and it's sitting on your system requiring an old version of a package
that still exists. I don't know a good way to fix this automatically
(especially as sometimes you want to keep it, e.g. volume mixer
controls for which there is no longer a good alternative in the repos,
and some packages which are current will still have older fcXX in
their name due to not having changed). The thing to do is trace back
dependencies on packages that are complaining about duplicates and
find out what fc1-fc15 package is sitting at the top of that tree and
whether it still exists in Fedora.

--
imalone