Alsa-utils update broken

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 12:05:29 UTC 2012

On Thursday 16 February 2012 12:17:14 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 01:22:05 +0000, MV (Marko) wrote:
> > Even better, the virtual machine can do a "yum update --skip-broken",
> > and then pick up yum's report on what was updated and what was skipped.
>
> --skip-broken is not safe yet, is it? At least on x86_64, broken deps
> have caused the depsolver to pull in i686 packages to satisfy dependencies.

I didn't know this can happen. Can you provide some additional info (a link to
a bugzilla or something)?

Yum itself advises to use --skip-broken in case of broken dependencies, so I
assumed it was safe to use. Actually, I was also wondering why isn't that
option turned on by default. But if it can screw up archs etc., then I'd like
to know more about what can go wrong and how.

Best, :-)
Marko