fuzzed desktop in F16

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 16 14:52:34 UTC 2012

I don't know how to describe it better; if I bring up windows mode in
GNOME shell, all the icons and fonts on the desktop are blurry and
pixelated. This only happens after a normal login followed by a suspend
or hibernate. Upon resume/thaw, the desktop is fuzzy. Sometimes the
fonts in the top panel are fuzzy too, sometimes not. Fonts inside a
terminal or browser window look fine, so this is only affecting the
panel and desktop.

This is on an x86_64 machine with a fresh install of F16, but preserving
the old home directories from F14 (i.e. prior to Gnome 3). I have
installed all the shell extension packages, but the issue occurs even
with all of them turned off. If I create a brand new user which did not
exist prior to the upgrade, the issue does not occur for that user. It
does occur for two different pre-existing users. This suggests that the
problem is in the conversion of settings (it is odd that I have done
several other machines, both i386's and x86_64's, in a very similar way
without this problem occurring).

So the questions are:

1) Has anyone else seen this;
2) Is there a setting or settings that I can change to fix this; and
3) What dot directories do I need to move out of the way if I want to
start Gnome 3 with a "clean slate"

I know I will probably get stuck with option 3) even though it will be a
big hassle to recreate all the settings, but having hibernate/suspend
not work is even more of a hassle.

Thanks in advance,
--Greg

P.S. Why does this happen only with my wife's desktop and not mine? :-)