MariaDB and Fedora

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Feb 16 16:32:28 UTC 2012

Am 16.02.2012 17:23, schrieb Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>

>> Am 16.02.2012 16:56, schrieb Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail:
>>> I'm wondering why MariaDB not in Fedora yet, is it technical or political? ..
>>>
>>> I did saw some discussion in the EPEL list about including MariaDB ,
>>> and theres argument whether it should replace mysql or should be made
>>> to run parallel. Understandable for EPEL as thats meant for enterprise
>>> class packages.
>>>
>>> But for Fedora, aint MariaDB should replace MySQL? .. similar to
>>> LibreOffice replaced OpenOffice ..
>>
>> you must not include both conflicting packages in the distribution
>> and please leave us server-admins with "compatible" replacements
>> for major-services in peace
>
> and systemd/init is not major service? :)

does it eat your data if they are not 100% compatible
which has to be proved in environments using dbmail
as example with millions of records in InnoDB tables
which is shipped with fedora?

i am working hard since two weeks with the main-developer
upstrean to get the current 3.0 final really bugfree
since it is shipped with F15 and for RHEL (EPEL) since
months - and YES you and all fedora users will become
this changes including a complete automated transition
script for a large server in a short time

so please do not force a major change for the sake of
the change!

MySQL 5.5 was one of the best releases ever and
the first one since Oracle has taken over

> Fedora have been historically breaking compatibility in favor of a
> freer alternative (eg: libreoffice vs openoffice) .. or new
> technologies (eg: systemd) .. imo, this is a similar issue.

it is a hughe difference between system-components and
normal user-software dealing with some documents or
speaking about a database with many thousands installations
which is NOT used only for software shipped with Fedora

> MariaDB does promises compatibility with existing mysql libraries, it
> also have a more open community which accepts patches and community
> contribution better than Oracle.

blablabla

do you guys have not done enough changes for the sake of the change
in the last 1.5 years? are you really interested that Fedora will
lose it's users because some "developers" are bored, have no work
(so it seems) and permanently searching for major changes?