startx fails with new kernel

Patrick Dupre patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 22:18:58 UTC 2012

>> On Wednesday 15 February 2012 20:08:22 Patrick Dupre wrote:
>> But could you tell me exactly what I should do?
>>
>> I removed xorg-x11-drv-nouveau (and xorg-x11-drivers), but I did
>> not get any improvements (see below)
>>
>> Then I even cannot get back with the 1920x1080 resolution even with
>> the previous kernel. So reinstalled the removed packages.

>If you want to use nVidia's binary blob, then in general you should:
>
>(a) enable rpmfusion repositories (you probably have done that already),
>and
>(b) do a "yum install akmod-nvidia".

>The latter will blacklist nouveau driver, rebuild your initrd image so
>that
>nouveau doesn't get loaded on reboot, build the nVidia binary blob
>against
>your running kernel (preferably the latest one), and set up xorg.conf
>appropriately for nVidia driver to work. After that you must reboot for
>the whole thing to take effect.

Do you mean that I should recompile a kernel?
I used to do so a long time ago, but with the advent of fedora, I did not
have to do so, and the users should not have to recompile kernels.

To come back to the issue. I can run the graphics with the kernel 3,2,3-2
and if it does not work with the new kernel 3,2,5-3, I can only think that
the new kernel has not been build up properly. However, when I compare the
2 files /usr/src/kernels/3.2.3-2.fc16.x86_64/.config  and
/usr/src/kernels/3.2.5-3.fc16.x86_64/.config
they are identical. Then I can deduce that is is probably a modules
issues.
lsmod does seem to show that the module nvidia.ko is loaded
tcp_lp                 12663  0
fuse                   77538  5
lockd                  84578  0
nf_conntrack_ipv4      14622  8
nf_defrag_ipv4         12673  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
ip6t_REJECT            12939  2
nf_conntrack_ipv6      14290  8
nf_defrag_ipv6         18139  1 nf_conntrack_ipv6
xt_state               12578  16
nf_conntrack           82331  3
nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack_ipv6,xt_state
ip6table_filter        12815  1
ip6_tables             26976  1 ip6table_filter
be2iscsi               72362  0
iscsi_boot_sysfs       15641  1 be2iscsi
bnx2i                  54521  0
cnic                   58676  1 bnx2i
uio                    19067  1 cnic
cxgb4i                 32909  0
cxgb4                 102888  1 cxgb4i
cxgb3i                 32972  0
libcxgbi               56477  2 cxgb4i,cxgb3i
cxgb3                 155412  1 cxgb3i
mdio                   13398  1 cxgb3
ib_iser                38073  0
rdma_cm                41898  1 ib_iser
ib_cm                  41692  1 rdma_cm
iw_cm                  18176  1 rdma_cm
ib_sa                  28407  2 rdma_cm,ib_cm
ib_mad                 46392  2 ib_cm,ib_sa
ib_core                73791  6 ib_iser,rdma_cm,ib_cm,iw_cm,ib_sa,ib_mad
ib_addr                13748  1 rdma_cm
iscsi_tcp              18333  0
libiscsi_tcp           23970  4 cxgb4i,cxgb3i,libcxgbi,iscsi_tcp
libiscsi               50527  8
be2iscsi,bnx2i,cxgb4i,cxgb3i,libcxgbi,ib_iser,iscsi_tcp,libiscsi_tcp
scsi_transport_iscsi    51823  8
be2iscsi,bnx2i,libcxgbi,ib_iser,iscsi_tcp,libiscsi
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     36277  4
joydev                 17412  0
snd_hda_codec_via      46559  1
snd_hda_intel          33276  3
snd_hda_codec         114615  3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep              17611  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                64807  0
snd_seq_device         14129  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                97100  4
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
ppdev                  17635  0
parport_pc             28082  0
parport                44515  2 ppdev,parport_pc
snd_timer              28815  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
edac_core              51619  0
snd                    74425  14
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
edac_mce_amd           22882  0
sp5100_tco             13697  0
soundcore              14484  1 snd
serio_raw              13371  0
r8169                  60789  0
mii                    13527  1 r8169
snd_page_alloc         18101  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
i2c_piix4              13694  0
microcode              23240  0
k10temp                13119  0
uinput                 17606  0
sunrpc                235041  2 lockd
binfmt_misc            17431  1
ata_generic            12899  0
pata_acpi              13027  0
pata_atiixp            13197  0
nouveau               763073  2
ttm                    68749  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         40141  1 nouveau
drm                   225935  4 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit           13156  1 nouveau
i2c_core               37955  5
i2c_piix4,nouveau,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit
mxm_wmi                12823  1 nouveau
wmi                    18697  1 mxm_wmi
video                  18932  1 nouveau

Could you please clarify the situation?

Thank.

Note, though, that this is generic advice. Since it appears you have been
removing/installing packages randomly, something else might be broken as well.
If the above procedure doesn't give you expected results, post the latest
/var/log/Xorg.0.log again so that we can troubleshoot it further.

HTH, :-)
Marko

---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |  Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |  Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |  email: patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk