issues logging in after fresh install fc16

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 18 03:59:38 UTC 2012

OK, I have never had such issues....
I have read and tried many things on users groups, on various mailing lists and my good friend google, but so far it has been 12 hours with no joy...

The process I followed is:
1. back up all users using TAR.
2. segment the tar files using split to get several sequential files of 2G sizes.
3. save that to an older windows formatted USB disk (this has all worked multiple times)
4. Remove all drives I don't want affected by the install (purely a preventive measure due to a stumple finger one time in the past)
5.  reboot, with the install dvd in the drive
6. install
: all good, got my admin privilege user and could boot to rescue mode if needed.
7. copy the splits back to /home , use cat to rejoin them and tar -xf.
: all good user directories fully restored.
8.  go to add users and groups and add the users.  Note the changes to 1000 sequence numbers, and so go to the directories and do the chgrp, chown commands
double check that all is well.
: minor users log in as expected

BUT my big user (me) with all kinds of settings doesn't log.  got the infamous .ICEauthority error.  Fixed that by booting to recover mode and changing the .ICEauthority permissions, group and owner.

NEW problem  ON login I get the Fedora version of BSD "Oh No! something has gone wrong"  Only option button is logout. This is not helpful...

 Also get a SELinux alert but of course can't read it due to the logout button screen blocking the world from view.

Logging on as root user, checking the .xsession-errors I find a rather long file ending with the following:

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: Error while sending AddMatch() message: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: Error while sending AddMatch() message: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: Error while sending AddMatch() message: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot remove match rule 'type='signal',interface='org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor',sender='org.gtk.Private.AfcVolumeMonitor',': org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot remove match rule 'type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.DBus',member='NameOwnerChanged',arg0='org.gtk.Private.AfcVolumeMonitor'': org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected: Connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot remove match rule 'type='signal',interface='org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor',sender='org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor',': org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected: Connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot remove match rule 'type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.DBus',member='NameOwnerChanged',arg0='org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor'': org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected: Connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot remove match rule 'type='signal',interface='org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor',sender='org.gtk.Private.GduVolumeMonitor',': org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected: Connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:1803): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot remove match rule 'type='signal',interface='org.freedesktop.DBus',member='NameOwnerChanged',arg0='org.gtk.Private.GduVolumeMonitor'': org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected: Connection is closed

OK

Any suggestions?  I don't even know what I would google for to figure this one out.

Regards,
Les H