xsane problem -

ny6p01 at gmail.com ny6p01 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 03:22:05 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 06:51:14PM -0800, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 2/18/2012 6:43 PM, ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:

> >> T.C:
> >>
> >> I had a similar issue in which the printer was picked up by CUPS and I
> >> can print without problem, but I am not able to scan. I do know that I
> >> had an old scanner working without problem.
> >>
> >> I saw this email and went "worth a shot". Yum installed your suggestion,
> >> ran hp-setup, and it can't see any printer. If I go under
> >> admin->printer, it shows there and things are still working.
> >>
> >> Testing on my F14 before migrating to F16. Maybe its an EOL issue?
> >>
> >> I wanted to ask if I am missing anything obvious before I go down that
> >> path (as it involves walking up and down stairs as the F16 is on one
> >> floor and the printer on another).
> >>
> >> Its an HP 7510 connected wireless into my Linksys router as DHCP. My F14
> >> and XP box are static IPs connected into same router. Initial setup done
> >> on XP and everything working there. Nothing worked on F14 until I
> >> installed system-config-printer cups hpijs, and then printing worked
> >> after a simple set-up. Scanning did not.
> >>
> >> If it makes any difference, the Linksys is wired into the Verizon router
> >> which is the connect to outside world ... so all connectivity is under
> >> my control and I don't have to muck with Verizon's hardware/software.
> >>
> >> Another reason to avoid doing F16 is that it is a static IP connected
> >> into a different router which is attached to a WAP which is wireless
> >> into the main router which the printer, XP, and FC14. Just one more
> >> "extra thing" that I'd rather tackle once the simplier setup is working.
> >>
> >> When I run hp-setup, it doesn't see any printer/device no matter which
> >> of the four options I pick
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Paul
> > Have you run the command from the cli, and has it spit anything interesting
> > back?
> >
> > Terry
>
> Terry:
>
> Thanks for reply. I fired off the command in a terminal, it put up a
> gui, and I worked from there. All the output in the terminal was jsut
> confirmation that it could find anything.
>
> I don't see anything for man hp-setup. I do get some info with hp-setup
> --help, so when I run with '-i', give a '1' for
> Network/Ethernet/WIreless, it comes back with the same info "error: no
> device selected/specified or that supports this functionality".
>
> Your email came in during the middle of a yum update to my F16 box so I
> can try it (and a few other tests on things that needed fixing).
> Hopefully I get some new information.
>
> For what it is worth, this is the first time I have set up a printer on
> Linux and the first time I've setup a wireless-to-LAN, so there is a bit
> of blind guiding the blind on my end
>
> Paul

Paul, this may or may not help, but I think this site is really good as far
as setting up a USB scanner with xsane. It is a Gentoo site, but I think
most of it is applicable to Fedora as well. I can't help but think this
problem is solvable with some simple thing. Good luck!

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Installing_USB_Scanner#Scanner_detection

Terry