Applications do not close with new kernel

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun Feb 19 03:41:05 UTC 2012

On 19/02/12 12:18, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/18/2012 12:39 AM, Roger wrote:
>> None of my apps close since the last kernel kernel update and everything
>> becomes inaccessible..
>> Opening apps is fine but then the system stops, not the keyboard
>> fortunately.
>>
>> The only way to kill an app is to <ctrl><alt><F2> and log in again then
>> try to kill the app or reboot.
>> Roger
>
> Install xkill and put it on your panel.  Then, as long as the mouse is
> working, you can kill any unresponsive program.  This isn't a solution
> to your underlying issue, but it may help

Thanks but the mouse is not functional when this happens.
problem with the gnome3 desktop is the lack of easily findable shortcuts
and hot keys.
I cannot find a hot key to bring up a terminal so cannot try ps aux and
kill the app that way.
The only option is to switch to another login, I've tried everything I
can think of.
Roger