Applications do not close with new kernel

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 12:12:29 UTC 2012

On 19 February 2012 11:15, Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> wrote:
> On 19/02/12 19:23, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>
>> On 02/19/2012 03:36 PM, Roger wrote:
>>>
>>> Can we all assume that you've booted into the previous kernel and
>>> confirmed that it continues to function correctly?
>>>
>>> Yes, that's correct.
>>
>> OK....  Well, in your second message on this subject you said: "Thanks
>> but the mouse is not functional when this happen".
>>
>> So, my second question would be....  does this happen from the very
>> start of your session or does the problem happen after a while when
>> running?
>>
>> What type of mouse do you have?  USB/PS2/Bluetooth?
>>
> Mouse. Wireless mouse and keyboard with the receiver plugged into a usb port
> at the back of the pc.
> When. After any app is started, any time after log in, no observable similar
> time delays before failure.
>
> I can use the mouse to click on the X button of Firefox, Gimp, terminal,
> etc, any app I start, no matter where I move the mouse the pointer moves but
> the app/s remains and no other selection can be made anywhere on the  Gnome3
> desktop.
>
> When I say the mouse is not functional I should explain. The mouse cursor
> moves as I move the mouse but I cannot start or stop any other apps.
>
> With previous kernel and in Ubuntu the problem does not exist.

Sounds like you need to file a kernel bug then. I would have said
against X if using the older version hadn't fixed it. I've seen
similar behaviour in a very old Slackware I have to use and there it
has some interesting properties:
1. Often being caused by some application, killing Firefox (which I
run from the Mozilla binary against a system that's too old for it)
brings the desktop back to life.
2. Typing on the Window last in focus generally works.
3. Mouse cursor still moves, but focus wont change. Due to the way the
cursor is handled it can often be one of the last things to fail.

--
imalone