Applications do not close with new kernel

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Feb 19 13:24:33 UTC 2012

On 02/19/2012 07:15 PM, Roger wrote:

> Mouse. Wireless mouse and keyboard with the receiver plugged into a
> usb port at the back of the pc.
> When. After any app is started, any time after log in, no observable
> similar time delays before failure.
>
> I can use the mouse to click on the X button of Firefox, Gimp,
> terminal, etc, any app I start, no matter where I move the mouse the
> pointer moves but the app/s remains and no other selection can be made
> anywhere on the  Gnome3 desktop.
>
> When I say the mouse is not functional I should explain. The mouse
> cursor moves as I move the mouse but I cannot start or stop any other
> apps.
>
> With previous kernel and in Ubuntu the problem does not exist.

It would seem you have uncovered a bug within X affecting your mouse.
My guess is that it would be the same problem under any desktop
environment.

I would first start off by comparing the /var/log/Xorg.0.log when
booting into the previous kernel as well as the new kernel.

I would also try moving the mouse/keyboard connection to a port on the
front your PC if you have ports there.  And/Or, simply
disconnecting/reconnecting the USB connector to see if the mouse can be
made to become responsive.

If all that should fail, then time to file a bugzilla.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis