Problems with webDAV and rsync

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Mon Feb 20 22:05:38 UTC 2012

On 02/20/2012 12:32 PM, Jan Köster wrote:
> I've rented some space at livedrive.com which I wanted to use as an
> online backup. Livedrive offers access via webdav and (s)ftp. When I
> mount the webdav share (using davfs2 or gvfs) and start rsyncing files
> this always fails with error 5 (input/output error) or error 2 (no such
> file). Same problem when mounting via sftp (sshfs/gvfs) but transfer is
> even slower then.
> Originally I wanted to use encfs to encrypt the files but didn't even
> start testing it as the "normal" rsync fails.
> As I'm not sure wether the problem is the webdav-mount or the remote
> host it would be great to know if someone has similar problems with
> webdav-mounts or if somebody has a solution to this problem.

There are a lot of webdav services that won't work with davfs2 as davfs
chunks the authentication bit and a lot of the davfs systems don't
deal with that well.  OwnCloud (granted, a Windows app) doesn't like
it.
-      "Microsoft is a cross between The Borg and the Ferengi.       -
-  Unfortunately they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to  -
-               do their programming."  -- Simon Slavin              -