[SOLVED ... kinda? :] Re: xsane problem - also hp-setup w/ hp7510

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 21 04:57:35 UTC 2012

On 2/20/2012 12:19 AM, ny6p01 at gmail.com wrote:

> Paul, glad you figgered it out. I had a feeling it was something of this
> type. Like I say, 'the computer is always right, or garbage in...' ;)
>
> Terry
===
[gabriel's reply:]

Hi,

Well I was in your situation some time ago, and wasnt obvious to me too,

I lost lots of time  too trying to detect the printer automatically,
trying the printer's hostname ( I have a dns server)  and did'nt work,
only  specifying the ip address works

seems which hp-setup only detect printers:

- via multicast addresses which don't transverse ip subnets
- and specifying ip address so it can connect directly

Gabriel
===
Terry, Gabriel, and anyone else who might have a suggestion:

As of last night, I had two instances of the same printer known to my
machine, one from admin->printing and one from hp-setup. Feeling brave,
I blasted both today and ran only hp-setup using the manual override
advanced feature. Worked great and it feels like a cleaner setup. Ran
through all the tests, including scanning, and everything worked except
lpr. Was able to resolve that by admin->printing and setting the printer
to be system default (which put a check mark on it). Now lpr works.

However, its not a great font or size. I get a much better printing
opening the file with gvim and using the printer icon there. Began
digging around and cannot find anything which allows me to set font and
size for lpr and lpr alone. I am getting wysiwyg out of firefox,
thunderbird, and gvim, so I don't want to change anything that would.

The other thing that is odd is I get nothing out of lpinfo or lpstat but
do get something from lpq (tried both self and root).

I'm still happy, don't get me wrong ... its now just the little "oh,
wouldn't it be nice" sort of things and wanting to make sure the running
just hp-setup doesn't miss something (like the lp* functions).

Paul