Bizarre kernel messages

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Feb 21 15:03:06 UTC 2012

Ian Chapman wrote:

> On 02/21/2012 10:31 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> I've just started getting an apparently endless stream of messages
>> in /var/log/messages .
>> Does anyone else get these?
>> Who or waht is CRDA?
>
> I've seen this before. I believe different countries have different
> ranges of frequencies that are legally permitted to be used for things
> like WiFi and similar. I guess it's performing some kind of check on
> what is permitted in your region, although how it determines what your
> region is, I'm not sure.
>
> There's some blurb here
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA

Thanks very much for the info, and the link.

I see that CRDA = Central Regulatory Domain Agent
and that it has something to do with udev ,
which I noticed was updated when I ran "yum update" an hour or so ago.

The link above seems to suggest ways one might turn this off,
eg by an entry in /etc/udev/rules.d/ ,
but it doesn't give an explicit script.

I said the stream was "endless", but that doesn't appear to be the case.
It seems to be running now every couple of minutes for 20 seconds or so.

The laptop on which this appears is a very standard Thinkpad T60,
running Fedora-16/KDE up-to-date.

I guess I'll try downgrading udev if the problem persists,
or else go back to the last kernel
(though the kernel was not updated today).

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net