F16 occasionally breaks RAID1 (md) on boot

Andreas M. Kirchwitz amk at spamfence.net
Wed Feb 22 01:29:18 UTC 2012

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:

 > Yup. But I did find a final solution, eventually.
 >
 > Take a survey of all your mdraid UUIDs. Reconcile it against your
 > /etc/default/grub. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX should include rd.md.uuid={UUID} for
 > all mdraid UUIDs. Add the missing ones there. Rerun /sbin/grub2-mkconfig to
 > rebuild grub.cfg, updating the command line used to boot all installed
 > kernels, and making sure that kernel upgrades get the updated command line
 > from /etc/default/grub.

Thanks for this excellent workaround, Sam! Now after about a week and
a lot of reboots I haven't had a single RAID failure. It's really great!

Maybe that should be put on the "Common F16 bugs" page as it might
help a lot of people (maybe some of them haven't even noticed that
their RAIDs are broken).

And thanks a lot for your explanation of the technical background
of this bug.

	Greetings, Andreas