Hibernate: not enough swap space

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Wed Feb 22 09:56:31 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 10:36 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Is your swap space active and is the kernel
>> set to use it?
>
> `cat /proc/swaps` to check this.  IIRC one of my boxes didn't enable
> swap till I fiddled with it a bit a few months ago (albeit w/F15).
> Maybe the same thing happened to you.

Check /proc/swaps to see if the kernel really has 9GB swap.

Also check how much swap you are actually using before hibernation.
You may be borderline.

I'm not sure about swap fragmentation issues; I can only say that I used
to use tuxonice and it was much more reliable (it also used memory
compression so it was able to work with less swap than RAM).

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it