Hibernate: not enough swap space

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:09:13 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net> wrote:
> On 02/22/2012 01:36:32 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
>> wrote:
>> memory.
>> with

>> > Not willing to do the math at the moment, but is it a rounding
>> issue?
>> > Are memory stick gigabytes the same as disk gigabytes?  Is your
>> swap
>> > space sufficiently large enough to avoid the difference?  (I recall
>> > reading it needed to be at least as large as your RAM, but not how
>> much
>> > more would be a good idea.)
>> --
>> > Is your swap space active and is the kernel
>> > set to use it?
>>
>> `cat /proc/swaps` to check this.  IIRC one of my boxes didn't enable
>> swap till I fiddled with it a bit a few months ago (albeit w/F15).
>> Maybe the same thing happened to you.
>
> Hmmmm ... this doesn't look good ....
>
> root at puget[2]->cat /proc/swaps
> Filename                                Type            Size    Used
> Priority
> root at puget[3]
>
> Do you recall the nature of the "fiddling" ?

`swapon /dev/sda10` will fix the problem immediately, but that won't
survive a reboot.

Likely something is wrong with the fstab entry for it.  It should look like:
/dev/sda10    swap    swap    defaults    0 0

(The device might be different; can't remember if swap devices have
UUIDs or not.  I've been using LVM2 for ages now.)

Failing that, what does `systemctl show swap.target` say?

-T.C.