re-mapping an older disk ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Feb 22 16:25:01 UTC 2012

Hi;

I have some hard disk problems, every thing I try just keeps digging a
deeper hole.
SMART Data

Disk HAS MANY BAD SECTORS
Backup all data and replace the disk

Current Pending Sector Count
Number of sectors waiting to be remapped

Problem(s) could also be mixed with my trying to set up and use LVM for
the first time. !!  If anyone recognizes a LVM problem please let me
know?  Could also be from physicaly switching two 500g harddrives
around?

Diagnosis suggestions would be welcome.

googled for suggested fix because the disk is not that old.  Got the dd
suggestion below.  Looks destructive.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M conv=noerror

SMART Data -- warning

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 15, Gnome 3.0.2