kde slow to start after a crash

Rick Stevens rstevens at corp.alldigital.com
Wed Feb 22 22:09:20 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 12:55 PM, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Dear Linuxers,
> I've a quite frustrating problem, yesterday trying to send a file via
> Skype this crashed and my linux-box became unresponsive. After
> rebooting KDE started really very slowly (it is taking more or less 20
> minutes to be fully loaded and responsive) and this happens at every
> reboot (and since this is a laptop it is quite frequent). And also once
> started many applications (e.g., korganizer, klipper) are still
> unresponsive and theirs menu take long time to appear.
>
> I got the same problem with the same causes one year ago and at that
> time I have solved reinstalling all the whole system but at the time was
> a quite new installation and it was inexpensive to do that but now I'd
> prefer to avoid. I have already tried to remove the cache and lock files
> but it didn't work.
>
> Any idea about how to solve the issue? If you address me I can provide
> log files as well.
>
> My system is FC13 up to date with KDE 4.5.3, nvidia card and kernel
> 2.6.34.7-63. I can provide any piece of log if you address me to what to
> look for. I know it is quite old but it works for my needs and it took
> so long to be fine tuned that I don't like the idea to start again.

Try renaming your ~/.kde directory to ~/.kde-bkup:

	$ cd ~
	$ mv .kde .kde-bkup

and log in again. This should essentially start your KDE session from
scratch. You'll lose any settings you have and will have to reset them
(or steal them from the ~/.kde-bkup directory--which is why I suggested
the rename rather than deletion).