Making a shared library executable outside the shell

Christopher Svanefalk christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:05:07 UTC 2012

I have built Chromium from source, and currently the only way to start the
browser is to execute the shared library file 'chrome' from shell.

I would like to be able to launch it from the normal menu like my other
applications, but I do not really know how to do this. Simply creating a
symlink in bin breaks dependencies (browser crashes due to inability to
load related libraries), and I am not really good enough at shell-work to
figure out what else could be done. It is further not possible to launch
the file from a normal file browser (system reports that it has no
application for handling shared libraries).

Any solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Christopher