Making a shared library executable outside the shell

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:33:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have built Chromium from source, and currently the only way to start the
> browser is to execute the shared library file 'chrome' from shell.
>
> I would like to be able to launch it from the normal menu like my other
> applications, but I do not really know how to do this. Simply creating a
> symlink in bin breaks dependencies (browser crashes due to inability to load
> related libraries), and I am not really good enough at shell-work to figure
> out what else could be done. It is further not possible to launch the file
> from a normal file browser (system reports that it has no application for
> handling shared libraries).
>
> Any solution to this?

The Chromium source distribution should contain a shell script to
start Chromium.  Google's official builds include this in
/opt/google/chrome and hardlink it to /usr/bin/google-chrome to start
the browser.  This is done as part of the build process even for
non-official builds, so it's very strange you don't have it.

You can find the wrapper script in the Chromium source distribution here:
http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/chrome/tools/build/linux/chrome-wrapper?view=markup

Simply copy it to the main Chrome directory and then hardlink it to /usr/bin.

-T.C.