F16 USB pass-through to VirtualBox

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Feb 23 16:02:18 UTC 2012

On 02/23/2012 11:49 PM, Dave Close wrote:
> I thought the same thing. As I read the documentation, that's exactly
> what a filter is supposed to do. But I have a "blank" filter, which
> claims it will connect any USB device, and that doesn't happen. My guest
> doesn't see the device until I select it in the guest menu. It's that
> problem which prompted my initial request for help.
>
> In my case, I have only one guest. I'm only running VBox because the
> application won't run on a recent Fedora release and the hardware won't
> work with an old release. Solution, run the old release as a guest under
> the new release. But the application needs to use the flash drive.

As Richard said, you can't use a blank filter for this.  You need
specific filters for the device that you want to automatically connect.

I'd not used USB filters in a long time since in early implementations I
found it buggy.  So, today I verified that it works as expected if you
have those specific filters defined.

Ed

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own.
You may both be wrong. -- Dandemis