Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 23 22:13:23 UTC 2012

On 23/02/12 16:35, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:09:25 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:
>

>>          this is an up to date F-16/64 bit computer. I reported last week
>>          that my trusty HP 5370 scanner didn't work, finally concluding
>>          that it must have met it's end. Today I received a new Canon
>>          LIDE 110 which according to a Sane list I found is supposed to
>>          work. It does not, lsusb shows:
> The Canon LIDE 110 is a scanner that does work with F-16 x86_64.
>
>>          Help would be greatly appreciated.
> Anything suspicious in /var/log/message about the scanner?
> What do you get for "rpm -qa \*sane\*"?

    Yes, I consulted a compatibility list and based the selection of the
    Canon on that. There's little doubt the HP will still work too once
    we find the cause of the problem. The HP has a separate power supply
    [wall wart]. I was surprised to see that the canon depends on USB
    for power, I didn't realize that when I ordered it but they seem to
    think it works.

    Nothing here?

        [bobg at box6 ~]$ /var/log/message
        bash: /var/log/message: No such file or directory

    Something here:

        [bobg at box6 ~]$ rpm -qa \*sane
        xsane-0.998-4.fc16.x86_64

    I guess that just shows that xsane is there?

    Bob