Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:34:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 05:33:44 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:

> > yum -y install sane-backends-drivers-scanners
>
>         Did that, still no device found!

If the scanner is plugged in, what do you get when running
the /usr/bin/sane-find-scanner command in a terminal?

>         However for the first time ever I ignored the warning not to run
>         as root and xsane found the Canon LIDE-110 scanner and copied as
>         expected! A permissions problem?

Very likely. If you run "lsusb" as root with the scanner being plugged in,
what Bus/Device numbers does it print? For example:

  Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04a9:1909 Canon, Inc. CanoScan LiDE 110
      ^^^        ^^^
If you then substitute your Bus/Device numbers in the following command
appropriately, what do you get when you execute it?

  getfacl /dev/bus/usb/001/004
                       ^^^ ^^^
                         (!)

>         As a matter of interest, my installs are from the XFCE spin on a

Which may be an important detail. There's another list for XFCE:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/xfce/
It could be that the XFCE Spin is missing something in its setup.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.95 0.46 0.21