Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 13:50:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:16:43 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:

>         [bobg at box6 ~]$ getfacl /dev/bus/usb/001/006
>         getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
>         # file: dev/bus/usb/001/006
>         # owner: root
>         # group: root
>         user::rw-
>         group::rw-
>         other::r--

The user access ACL entry is missing. That explains why your ordinary
user cannot access the device. (I assume that udev and systemd work fine
on your machine, or have you noticed issues that might be relevant?)

>         Do I need to chown bobg here? It looks like it ought to work as
>         is for bobg with 664 ownership?

That won't survive a reboot, and when removing+readding the device the
problem would reappear.

Do you run with SELinux enabled and enforcing?
Do you get denials in /var/log/audit/audit.log? (it could be that XFCE
doesn't run the SELinux troubleshooter, so you would not learn about
SELinux problems)
What happens if you switch to "permissive mode" temporarily (either
at boot time) or by running "setenforce 0" as root, then plug in the
scanner?

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.01 0.04 0.05