Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 25 15:39:13 UTC 2012

On 24/02/12 19:17, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> That's the wrong file. The device file would have been '012' in that
> directory. I've done a "yum groupinstall XFCE" here for a very brief
> test, but when logging into XFCE (albeit from GDM), the user access
> ACL entry on the device file is set automatically when plugging in the
> scanner. So, that hasn't been enough to reproduce the problem. Perhaps
> just the XFCE Spin is affected?

        In an off-list discussion with "g" I realized that I could run
        another "virgin" instance of F-16/64 from the XFCE Live Spin on
        the flash drive, the same one these installations are derived
        from. Why did it take so long to think of that? Old age perhaps?

        I had to install xsane, tried that, got the same error message
        about no device available until I installed "yum -y install
        sane-backends-drivers-scanners."

        Once that was done on box9 the HP-5370c scanner works as User
        bobg as it always has.

        That seems to bear out the hypothesis that something else I've
        installed is interfering with xsane.

        Perhaps yum removing and re-installing sane is the next thing to
        try if yum remove doesn't take out other peripheral stuff that
        is needed elsewhere.

        Bob