Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 22:13:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:21:11 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:

>         In an off-list discussion with "g" I realized that I could run
>         another "virgin" instance of F-16/64 from the XFCE Live Spin on
>         the flash drive, the same one these installations are derived
>         from. Why did it take so long to think of that? Old age perhaps?
>
>         I had to install xsane, tried that, got the same error message
>         about no device available until I installed "yum -y install
>         sane-backends-drivers-scanners."
>
>         Once that was done on box9 the HP-5370c scanner works as User
>         bobg as it always has.

I've just learned that systemd would log an error when it fails to set
the device node ACL. So,

  grep ACL /var/log/messages

should tell. If no such messages related to your scanner USB device turn
up, the OS has failed earlier.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 1.26 0.66 0.25