Scan does not work on either F-16 box -

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:22:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:05:33 -0500, BG (Bob) wrote:

> > Perhaps just the XFCE Spin is affected?
>
>         Or just my copy?

So, a default install to harddisk of the XFCE Spin (Fedora 16 x86_64)
is not enough to reproduce the problem. ACLs on the device node get set.
The test scanner is listed with exactly the same ID 04a9:1909. It's not
a different model that would be detected as something else. USB scanner
detection and access to the device works already without installing
sane-backends-drivers-scanners (which isn't installed by default).

>         I installed both from the same flash drive.
>         That seems improbable though. It also seems likely that others
>         should have observed the same problem by now. Something else I
>         have installed may have resulted in this?

More basic trouble-shooting might lead to finding something, but I won't
propose further commands as they result in much more work for you with no
guarantee that something will be found. With "basic" I mean things like
verifying the RPM database for package inconsistencies and taking a look
at boot messages (possibly disabling "rhgb quiet" or enabling Plymouth
theme "detailed") and for suspicious warnings/errors in the syslog.

It's an interesting case, though. :) Something between udev and systemd
doesn't work as expected. And for two of your machines even. *ouch*

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 1.81 0.69 0.25