Fedora 16 preupgrade with grub2 failure.

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Feb 26 20:18:52 UTC 2012

I've don't a number of upgrades from Fedora 14 to 16 with no
problems, but just had a very bad issue with grub2 not working.

Preupgrade process seemed to go fine, then rebooted.
Screen came up, but was in a very dark gray with slightly lighter
gray letters that were not very readable, but it appeared to be
processing fine, and let it run.

After a while, it had a popup window that said something about a
bootloader with only an OK button, which I was a guessing was
that it was going to install the new bootloader, so pressed enter.

Machine rebooted but showed the old grub 0.97 options, which
only listed the upgrade kernel option and the link to run my g4l
kernels. The preupgrade option didn't find files, but booting from
the g4l kernel gave me access, and I could see a grub2 directory
was there and so was the new kernels. I was eventually able to
get the 0.97 grub.conf to load the fedora 16 kernel and initramfs
by manually creating entry, but don't know why the grub2 upgrade
would have failed, or what the best way to get the grub2 correctly
installed?

I have the previous 500GB disk with the Fedora 14 before the
upgrade, so can go back to it if necessary. Had to duplicate the
disk to a 1TB drive and increase the /boot since the system only
had a 200MB /boot.

Hoping there is a simple solution?

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI        11878212.985960   |   EINSTEIN     7347240.179852
ROSETTA      4278297.373025   |   ABC         11278989.077652