synchronize time

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 28 11:03:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 19:49 -0600, Kevin Martin wrote:
> I understand that but ntpd (and possibly chrony) had a limit as to how
> far out of sync your system could get before it would not try
> to sync with the ntp servers, hence you had to set the date/time
> manually first to a time within a minute or so and then start the
> daemon and it would sync up.

With NTP, there was the ntpdate command that would automatically do that
for you (automatically force in the current time with ntpdate, no matter
how far off it was, then use ntp to keep the clock in sync).  I'd expect
chrony to do something similar, the need would be the same.

I can't recall ever having to do any firewall gymnastics with NTP, it's
an outgoing connection, and I didn't restrict outgoing connections.  If
you'd gone bonkers restricting everything without due care, you may have
isolated yourself.

There's every chance that there's some stale addresses being doled out
for time servers that don't run anymore.  You could look at the pool
website, and try other servers:  http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/  I know
that I've, certainly, come across that problem in the past.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.