startx fails with new kernel

Patrick Dupre patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 19:56:15 UTC 2012

Hello Marko,

Congratulations, I worked exactly like you said.
Thank again.

> On Friday 24 February 2012 22:55:09 Patrick Dupre wrote:
> (2) Run "mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-backup". This will rename
> the xorg.conf file (if you have it), and let X run with default
> configuration (i.e. without an xorg.conf file) after a reboot.

> This is probably were my problem is.
> I removed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf because if it is here I can never
> start my graphic mode with the rigth resolution. So I use
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the following files:
>
> 00-nvidia.conf  00-system-setup-keyboard.conf  40-monitor.conf
> 50-screen.conf (see attached file)
>
> How is is connectred to nouveau and nvdia?

Well, obviously, you want to (re)move these files as well. The idea of removing
xorg.conf is to start with a clean configuration. You want to remove any and
all changes you have made to xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d/ directory.
Delete/rename the xorg.conf file, and make sure that the directory xorg.conf.d/
is empty.

Once we fix the loading of the proper driver, we can re-add the configuration in
order to fix your resolution problems. Also, I could bet that your resolution
will work out-of-the-box, once the nvidia or nouveau driver is properly in
place.

Currently, you have nouveau loading, and the 00-nvidia.conf file is making it
fail (remember, never both drivers at the same time!). Your system then falls
back to the default generic vesa driver, which doesn't support resolutions
beyond 1024x768. That is why your resolution doesn't work properly.

So, remove the xorg.conf and empty the xorg.conf.d, and then do all the steps
as I explained in the previous e-mail.

> For now I have:
> xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-0.0.16-27.20110720gitb806e3f.fc16.x86_64
> and
>
> akmod-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.4.x86_64
> kmod-nvidia-3.2.7-1.fc16.x86_64-290.10-1.fc16.15.x86_64
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64
> kmod-nvidia-3.2.3-2.fc16.x86_64-290.10-1.fc16.12.x86_64
> kmod-nvidia-3.2.6-3.fc16.x86_64-290.10-1.fc16.14.x86_64
> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64
> nvidia-xconfig-1.0-11.fc16.x86_64
>
> Should I remove one of them?

Ok, it would be best to do a

   yum remove akmod-nvidia kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia nvidia-xconfig

We will re-add these as necessary later. Remember, remove *everything* nvidia-
related. All rpm packages and any configuration files. You want to start with a
clean, default Fedora configuration for X.

> After we will have clarify this point, I will eventually go into your
> procedure. But my understanding is that I should start nouveau since there
> is no xorg.conf, but when I build such a file, then the graphics is
> wrong!!

The nouveau driver, if present on your system, will be loaded by the *kernel*,
during boot procedure, long before xorg.conf is looked at. The xorg.conf file
has nothing to do with loading nouveau.

If instead you want to use nvidia driver (and you do), then nouveau would be
removed, the kernel would boot with the generic vesa driver, then it would
read  the (nvidia-created) xorg.conf, and then load the nvidia driver when X
gets started.

That is how it works. Nouveau and nvidia drivers work quite differently, get
loaded at different times, one doesn't need an xorg.conf and the other does
need it, etc.

So again, please --- if you want to fix your problem, you need to remove any
and all traces of nvidia software from your system, remove any custom X
configuration files, perform a "yum update", reboot into the latest kernel, do a
"yum install akmod-nvidia", and reboot into the same kernel again.

That should be enough to make your graphics work properly. If it still doesn't
work, send us the /var/log/xorg.0.log so that we can see what else is failing.

HTH, :-)
Marko

---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |  Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |  Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |  email: patrick.dupre at york.ac.uk