[mosty OT] trollfilter software

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sun Jan 1 01:26:43 UTC 2012

On 12/31/2011 04:47 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:10:40 -0500
> Genes MailLists wrote:
>
>>  Tom - Im curious - why are you using fetchmail to pull gmail via pop
>> instead of just connecting to it via imap with your mail client?
>
> Because I want all my mail consolidated on my own IMAP server
> where I can filter it the way I want it (and have the dovecot sieve
> filters work the exact same way no matter which email
> client I use), get to it from other machines
> on my LAN, etc.

> I can also switch email clients at will, and all my mail
> is still filtered the same on my server.

 Ahh .. thanks ... makes sense ... :-)

 Especially if you make your imap server visible on the internet - then
you can still get your mail anywhere.

 I also never use any 'mail client local storage' for anything - if I
need any I my own imap server - i want to be client indifferent as well
- esp from thunderbird which uses mbox format.