nfs mounts in fstab

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sun Jan 1 17:25:39 UTC 2012

On 01/01/2012 11:15 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> (I have line wraps here)
>
> my.server.here://nfs/store01  /home/myuser/Net01                 nfs
> user,rw,noauto,hard,intr            0 0
>

> The problem I'm having is myuser on the client is uid:1000
> (my son set up his own PC with Fedora16)
> on the server myuser uid:500

 UID's matter more than usernames ... nfs4 has some user mapping
features but I cannot speak to them.

 I would suggest you bite the bullet and move the uid's on server from
>= 500 to >= 1000 (and of course match client usernames).

 I just did this on my servers - you should of course shut down services
(sendmail, dovecot etc) before fixing the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files - then

  chown -R user.user XXX

  where XXX = /home/user, /var/mail/user etc.

 Before restarting services.

 If you have other mixed owner directories then the command
   chown -R --from:old_uid:old_gid uid:gid

 can be helpful (you can do the uid and gid separately as well if you
have shared groups for example.

 gene