RS880 Audio Device (Radeon HD 4200) HDMI sound interface difficulties

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun Jan 1 18:39:54 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at pomec.net> wrote:
> T.C.
>
> Thanks for the advice.  I added the "radeon.audio=1" to the kernel
> command line, but the hdmi still does not function.  I tried to add the
> command to ./grub/menu.lst but looks like that file is not present in
> F16.  I took a look at my install logs and found the following :

F16 switched to using GRUB2 as the bootloader.  It uses a slightly
different confiugration file, located in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.

> [snipped logs]
>
> It looks to me like this kernel is recognizing the hdmi interface, but
> hdmi sound is still not working.

That mainly refers to the video portion of the signal.  I'm assuming
that works, given you didn't ask about that first.  ;-)

While booted with "radeon.audio=1" set, please run "pacmd info" and
post the output.  That dumps PulseAudio's state and may provide clues
as to why your HDMI audio is not working.

> Thanks again for your help!!!

No problem. :-)

-T.C.

T.C.

Well looks like we have an answer the pulse audio daemon is not even running.chmod o+rw /dev/snd/*,

[root at Re02 ~]# pacmd info
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

I did some googling and tried the following :

#1. chmod o+rw /dev/snd/*

After logging out and logging back in the above command made no difference.

#2. authconfig --updateall --nostart
    rm -rf ~/.pulse

After logging out and logging back in the above also made no difference

After rebooting with the continued use of radeon.audio=1 on the command
line there was no difference.

Any additional ideas would certainly be appreciated.

Greg