[mosty OT] trollfilter software

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 00:41:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> [...]
> not disputing access issues requiring Internet connection or security
> concerns w/r/t others handling the storage and ignoring the basic fact
> that e-mail is essentially an insecure medium to begin with [1] but...

Well, while we argue about which existing access protocol is superior,
we could be discussing new protocols and UI that could let us adjust
the level of security we want to apply, let us decide where we want to
store particular threads, let us tweak our spam filters and storage so
that the false positives stand out for a few days before they
disappear forever, etc.

> In the 1990's computers and internet access were slow and expensive, now
> storage, computers and Internet access is considerably less expensive
> and thus the tendency to use more than 1 computer/device to access
> e-mail is relatively common and is something that POP3 was never well
> equipped to handle.

And on the other hand, we can have a Sheeva plug or something similar
sitting in our living room, under the phone, giving us access across
the net to our e-mail and family/SOHO BBS, etc. (Shoot, with a little
hardware hacking, a little ARM prototyping kit could be the phone
itself.

(And I look in my pocket at something that could be the same kind of
thing, wireless, if the carriers weren't so fixated on trying to
capture/maintain "their" "cash flow". (They don't seem to understand
that the whole principle that validates tapping the cash flow is
premised on service, and service is where the value is generated.
Slipping off topic there.)

> Thus my statement that POP3 is so 1990's.

1990s? Nonsense.