F16 - Converting to RAID1

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon Jan 2 14:06:32 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 03:31 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> without an explicit declaration the undeclared RAID volumes were getting assigned a high minor device number, like /dev/md127, rather than an expected low number. Which was a little bit of an eyesore, but after I figured out that my problem was the missing boot parameter, and added an explicit boot parameter for the partition, the problem went away, and the array was assigned a reasonable, low /dev/md minor device number.

It is not necessary to declare volumes with boot parameters.
I've found that having a proper line in mdadm.conf is enough; but you have to
rebuild the initramfs, because it contains a copy of the mdadm.conf.

A file like:

MAILADDR root
AUTO +imsm +1.x -all
ARRAY /dev/md0 UUID=xxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxx

(with correct UUID)
will be enough to avoid /dev/md127.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it