Static ethernet connection

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Tue Jan 3 04:56:06 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012 05:25:25 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 03.01.2012 02:22, schrieb Geoffrey Leach:
> > I need to set up an ethernet connection to a device that needs a
> static
> > IP address. Can anyone point me to doc on how to do this?
>
> * disable networkmanager
> * write a network-script as all the years before
>
> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> IPADDR=192.168.1.2
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> NM_CONTROLLED=no
> USERCTL=no
> IPV6INIT=no
>
> * chkconfig network on
> * service network start

Reindl, thanks.

I'm not sure that the network service is available on Fedora 16, which
is OK, because this works fine as is, along with "ifup eth0".
ONBOOT=yes does not work in my context.  BTW, what is BOOTPROTO=static?

As it happens, my problem turned out to be that dnsmasq was not
running. It used to be, as you know, that there was a nice service
configuration tool that would prompt you as to what you might need. No
longer (sigh).

Thanks again.