Fedora 16 test

Patrick Lists fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 3 15:56:02 UTC 2012

On 03-01-12 12:10, Roger wrote:
[snip]
> Just a couple of questions about clean installing over Fedora 14.
> Is there an option for it to not overwrite the home and /var/www/html
> directories?

For a fresh install they need to be on separate partitions.

> Don't like the font rendering, pretty glunky with Bitstream charter and
> the default font. Is there a way to improve font rendering?
> Are there any gotchas to look out for.

The F16 GNOME3 desktop uses themes. The default seems is called Adwaita.
If you have installed gnome-tweak-tool and start it then you can see
under the drop down in "Theme -> Window theme" which other themes there
are. Maybe there is one you like.

Alternatively you can Google for other themes and install the one(s) you
like. It's basically CSS so you could do the modifications yourself if
you are familiar with that (e.g. from web development).

Try this command for an overview of the files that make up the Adwaita
theme: $ rpm -ql adwaita-gtk3-theme

The file /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml is
probably you want to have a look at for modifications.

There is a nice tutorial howto customize the GNOME3 shell:
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html
It also has an answer howto change those huge icons to something more
sane by tweaking /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css but it
seems a bit outdated. These settings worked for me:

/* Apps */

.icon-grid {
     spacing: 18px;			/* was 36px */
     -shell-grid-item-size: 59px;	/* was 118px */
}

.contact-grid {
     spacing: 36px;
     -shell-grid-item-size: 154px; /* 2 * -shell-grid-item-size + spacing */
}

.icon-grid .overview-icon {
     icon-size: 48px;			/* was 96px */
}

You can then reload with alt-f2 and in the box type "r" for reload and
hit enter. You should then see the smaller icons in Applications.

You will probably see that the dash (that thing on the left) still has
huge icons. I have read somewhere that it scales dynamically. The code
that does that seems to live in: /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/dash.js
Unfortunately I have no idea how to disable that and just set those
icons in the dash to a normal size. If you figure it out please update
this post.

Regards,
Patrick