dumb question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 4 08:26:15 UTC 2012

On 1/4/2012 12:19 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 04:17 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Though I can't stand the MS world of extensions meaning something, I
>> can't imagine not using extensions to help understand what is there.
>> The system shouldn't give a damn, but the user needs all the help
>> he/she can get (smile)
> Sure, and if someone chooses to use them that is their choice.  I don't
> bash (pun intended) them for it.  I just make sure that the new people I
> run into (at work) know that it isn't necessary.

Fair enough ... I understand. If I worked at your place, I would panic
at not having the extensions as a "text-based" clue. I spent too many
years at too many places to understand that seeing an extension on a
file gave me a sense of what the original author intended when I had to
dive into a debug to figure out what he/she screwed up.

But, as I started with, "fair enough" .. I accept and understand,
Paul