dumb question

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 08:30:34 UTC 2012

Around 08:17am on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 (UK time), Paul Allen Newell scrawled:

> On 1/4/2012 12:11 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> >FWIW, I never use extensions.
> Ed:
>
> Though I can't stand the MS world of extensions meaning something, I
> can't imagine not using extensions to help understand what is there. The
> system shouldn't give a damn, but the user needs all the help he/she can
> get (smile)

The case against extensions in this context is that the user shouldn't
have to change if the shell script is rewritten in a different language.
Having to change from foobar.sh to foobar.pl just because of this change
isn't user friendly. And what if you re-wrote it in C?

But although you can make a case, it isn't an open and shut one, but a
matter of preference I guess. And I certainly think .conf on a file is
useful. And maybe even .d

Steve

--

Website:  www.stevesearle.com
Twitter:  @ReddishShift

 08:26:23 up 4 days, 19:32,  1 user,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01