dumb question

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jan 4 08:32:06 UTC 2012

On 01/04/2012 04:26 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> air enough ... I understand. If I worked at your place, I would panic
> at not having the extensions as a "text-based" clue. I spent too many
> years at too many places to understand that seeing an extension on a
> file gave me a sense of what the original author intended when I had
> to dive into a debug to figure out what he/she screwed up.
>
> But, as I started with, "fair enough" .. I accept and understand,

Well, I'm sorry you'd panic....

We'd just use the "file" command to find out what the intended use is
and adhere to a standard of putting #!/bin/bash or whatever shell as the
first line of a file...

[egreshko at misty bin]$ file killfox
killfox: Bourne-Again shell script text executable

[egreshko at misty bin]$ file ptest
ptest: perl script text executable

etc....

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless